Monday, August 16, 2010

I Object!

Today we started our jurisprudence class. Jurisprudence being basically a fancy word for "Let's teach the doctors how not to get sued." We received such helpful advise as "Patients don't sue the nice doctors, so smile when you inform a patient that you have to perform second surgery  because you were an idiot and left a surgical sponge in their belly. And if you're really good they'll be so grateful that you're not even charging them for it."

I don't think I've ever been more sure that medical school is the right place for me. No offense to my law schooled friends, but I don't think I've ever been more bored in class. Granted, they probably learn about the cool parts of law; we learned the difference between the plaintive and the defendant. Seriously? Anyone who's ever watched Judge Judy knows about that.

Also, I thought medical words had a lot of hard-to-remember Latin terms, but compared to some of the terms this guy was throwing around, medicalese is a breeze (heh, I rhymed). This law stuff, however, is basically indecipherable. And all these phrases sound faintly dirty. Don't believe me? Try saying Ad Testificandum out loud.

The only thing that kept me from poking my brainstem out with a pencil was that the professor does magic tricks. It's like attending the Criss Angel School of Law. Well, that and the fact that he tells you what all the test questions will be during the lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment